Sunday, December 11, 2011

What Rule of Law Means to Me...

When I first found out I would be doing "rule of law" work in Afghanistan, I thought "hmmm, pretty vague."  So since Capt M and I are still hanging out waiting to head somewhere, pithy reflection on what rule of law has meant to me for the last 30 years:
- Kindergarten- I cut my bangs off with scissors and lied to my mother about it -- lying to your mother is worse than lying under oath!
- 5th Grade- My Mom was a prosecutor when we moved back to OH and she brought her badge in when she came to speak to my class -- so cool!  Women power role model for life :)
- High school- My church and high school are located next to each other on a corner with a traffic light -- everyone would cut through the parking lots to avoid the traffic light despite it being "illegal" to do so.  Driving home with J.B. one night we were pulled over -- first time in trouble with the law!
- College- Worked with Kirkland & Ellis on the case of Robin Lovitt, whose death sentence was ultimately commuted to life by VA Gov Warner because a state clerk had illegally destroyed evidence from his trial.
- Law School- Co-founded the Student Hurricane Network, which continues to do great things in the Gulf.
- Den Haag- Worked for the Appellate Chamber of the ICTY/ICTR.  Despite my misgivings about a statute that permits sentences to be increased on appeal, the first life sentence handed down in Galic was a strong statement in the development of international criminal law.
- Luke AFB- I had an amazing first assignment and the pleasure of advising some great squadron commanders.  The dialogue between the JAG and CCs/First Sergeants is crucial for military justice -- moreso when we disagreed and talked through issues of discipline and justice.  On the flight over I ran into someone from Luke who recognized me -- apparently one of the things I'm still known for around there is asking Sec Donley a (vetted and approved!) question about Art. 3 courts v. military tribunals during a CC call.  Still a hot topic http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/us/beyond-guantanamo-bay-a-web-of-federal-prisons.html?hpw 
- Afghanistan- I come here with an open mind, high hopes, and low expectations (179 is not long to accomplish much in even the best of circumstances after all...).  Here is a description of our mission and a couple pics of HQ.  http://www.lawfareblog.com/2011/07/nato-stands-up-rule-of-law-field-support-mission-in-afghanistan/

So...rule of law has meant many things to me and I'm sure I might have a different answer in 6 months about what it means in Afghanistan.  My only hope is that at the end of all this I can say I upheld the oath I first took 3.5 years ago in Rayburn, carried out my CC's intent, and went about my daily work with integrity and enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment