Saturday, December 10, 2011

Arrived In Country

 
Pretty straightforward trip to Afghanistan -- 4 flights over the course of 2 days with a night to cool my heels (or rather bathe in my tent sauna) at Manas, Kyrgyzstan.  It was hard to know what to make of Manas -- between the freezing temperature and eerie fog, I think I was glad to get out of there pretty quickly.  We took a C-17 out of McChord into Kandahar -- pretty smooth ride and being short has its advantages when you're squeezed into a seat in your battle rattle.
 
Capt M and I are just hanging out at Kandahar "in processing" and waiting for rides forward.  It appears that after being denied the correct uniforms stateside (proper pattern and a set of pants that won't fall off of me without a belt), my new unit will be more than happy to oblige.  Where am I headed?  Good question, that decision appears to be in the works.  I was surprised that my gender wasn't an issue with my tasking for the type of work that I anticipate doing -- but it appears that may in fact be the sticking point in deciding what province I end up in.  Just like the U.S. and any country in the world, some areas are simply more progressive than others.  I'm sure I will have plenty more to say about this (good and bad) as time goes on.
 
Also, interestingly, not all of the field support officers are JAGs/paralegals.  We have pilots, MPs, and engineers.  Good variety for what I anticipate I will be doing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment