Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Change Afghanistan Can Believe In


As a political junkie, I enjoyed this title in a FP column today when it popped up on our clips http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/12/12/change_afghanistan_can_believe_in?page=0,0 After a read, I enjoyed it even more – metrics and statistics can tell stories that sometimes newscasters can’t, provide tangible evidence of progress or lack thereof, and guide leaders in making decisions with limited resources.  Before and since joining the Air Force, I have been asked “are we winning?” “is it worth the death/injury/$ count?” – as if either question has a simple yes or no answer.  These statistics on per capita income, mortality rates, and the “are you better off than you were X years ago?” question are perhaps indicative of a positive trend line (and hopefully not cherry-picked statistics to support the author’s point of view…).

I am still very much in the intro part of my mission (not even in the district I will be working in) – but have been briefed on the basics and am happy to report that my little piece of the puzzle has subjective and objective metrics for what will constitute “success” in a given provincial district.  While I cringe about military justice metrics in my stateside gig, I am optimistic that the goal posts that have been set represent an immense challenge no doubt – but if achieved can make a positive contribution in the lives of Afghans.

No comments:

Post a Comment