Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day

I read an op-ed today that said "happy" should have no part in Memorial Day -- that it's a day of sadness and remembrance and our country has done a disservice to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice by moving the holiday some years ago so that it would coincide with 3 day weekends, unofficially mark the start of summer and pool season, be marked with backyard bbqs, and where I grew up a pretty stellar parade led by the best high school marching band out there (if I do say so myself).  I am not saying the writer didn't have a point, but I'd also like to think that marking the day by spending time with friends, family, in one's community, carrying on with such activities might not always be a bad way of living as those we have lost might have wanted.

Four years ago on Memorial Day I was back in OH from DC for the weekend attending Memorial Day events on behalf of my then-boss, Congresswoman Sutton.  I tried to find one of the speeches I gave that weekend, but could only dig up this article  http://www.thesuburbanite.com/news/x244768771/Springfield-community-Memorial-Day-ceremony about one of the events. 

I am at a loss for what more to say about Memorial Day deployed.  I took extra notice of the memorials on our FOB and paused a little longer at the pictures in the hallway.  But we also had bbq chicken and potato salad for chow tonight and there was the same laughter and late night as usual (but near beer instead of the real deal of course).  For those back home, I hope for the same mix -- we can remember the ones we love and have sacrificed the best by carrying on with life and enjoying the freedoms they have won.

No comments:

Post a Comment