Wednesday, April 4, 2012

TOA

TOA (transfer of authority) was last weekend in my AO.  It was hard to say goodbye to new friends that I have worked with and gotten to know over the last few months as they slowly left the FOBs and COPs for home.  I'm not sure what they were nervous about more when they found out I was coming in December -- that I was female, in the AF, or a JAG.  And yet somehow I fit into the shop better than they or I could have imagined.  So a few shout outs to the boys (who I don't believe have any idea this blog exists):
- JH- Thanks for being like a big brother -- and occasional secretary!  As easy going as they come and perfect for your role out here.  Always with a quick retort.  You definitely helped me adjust to Army more than anyone.
- DP- Get some sun!  Thanks for our morning runs there at the end.  Don't become too cool to keep in touch with a ROLFFA out there in LA/MBA land.
- JC- Reintegrate or die!  I always thought flexibility was the key to air power.  You showed me it's the key to being a good officer too.  From rear D, to S-3 planner, to SKRV development strategist, to company commander in a matter of months. 
- EH- Always level-headed, pragmatic, and with great insight on the day's events -- and I don't think it's just the voice.  You have given me great perspective and helped me stick with the long game through my first deployment.
- DP/Combat- Just so we're clear on the northeast Ohio rankings: 1) Hudson, 2) Medina, 3) North Canton.   
- JH- Thanks for the exercise ball -- everyone is jealous of my "chair" and it has made me a good couple inches taller.  Be kind to the AF folks at Eglin!

All military careers intersect in DC, so I hope to work with you all again some day.  If you're ever in NE Ohio, remember no one knows what a ROLFFA is, but the name "Maimona" might get you a free beer or two at Beef O'Brady's.

Perhaps the greatest compliment I received during the farewells was from the battalion commander who told me that it would have been pretty easy for me to come in and say effectively that while I am assigned in his AO, I'm not part of his staff, etc. and go about my work in a more isolated fashion.  But instead that I integrated into his staff seamlessly.  This is true and it would have been a mistake to isolate myself -- professionally and personally.  One of the biggest challenges I have seen over here is managing all the "enablers," people like me on the military and civilian side that are working in something other than a combat or logistics role.  We are working in gov/dev, RoL, mentoring ANSF, etc.  We come from all branches of the military, DoS, USAID, and I could go on and on.  Managing efforts collectively is a challenge.  As I have given introductions during BFC the last few weeks with the incoming unit, I tell them that I essentially have three chains I work through:  1) my actual deployed chain of command, NROLFSM, 2) the BSO, and 3) DoS.  My no kidding chain of command is a given.  I am lucky enough that the prior battalion commander and new both treat me as part of their staff and I am happy to be able to work on their priorities.  And finally my counterpart at provincial works for DoS and has been in country for nearly 2.5 years so it would be foolish not to align with the phenomenal work he has been doing.  And can't forget my AF chain of command that will get me a flight out of country when I'm done!  I've started to ramble a bit...but bottom line is I think key to success when you're in my position as an enabler/individual augmentee/whatever you want to call it...is to remain flexible, work hard, collaborate with anyone and everyone, and push to do what makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment