Friday, April 27, 2012

To Head Scarf Or Not?

I started this post a couple months ago and thought it was deleted when my computer crashed.  Dug it up saved in drafts and appropriate after posting the pic of me in a head scarf yesterday...

When I first got here, I sought the advice of men and women alike about whether it was necessary or preferred that I wear a head scarf when meeting with Afghans.  I received mixed responses.  Some said that it is an absolute necessity to show that I respect the Afghan culture and that I would be taken more seriously in meetings if I did so.  Others told me that they do not and that they don't think it matters because Afghans have been dealing with CF for so long and are used to seeing at least a few Western women acting in a professional capacity here.  So I did wear a head scarf during initial meetings and then I stopped and didn't think I was being treated any differently, getting less information, or being less productive during my meetings.  My interpreter encouraged/harped/borderline insisted that I return to wearing the head scarf and I did yesterday.  Result?  The Afghans I met all commented on it in a positive way saying that I "looked good" (Note:  NOT hitting on me...happy that I was respecting their culture).  So I think the head scarf is here to stay for the remainder of my deployment.

Here's how I feel about it.  Professionally, I know it is the right thing to do and I'm all about being professional and doing what it takes to facilitate carrying out my mission.  Personally, it does affect how I feel.  The first couple I wore were heavier materials and really did make me feel like I was hiding and I think affected the level of confidence I projected (e.g. even when I was the senior CF in the room or it was my meeting to run, somehow the men were in charge).  One of the female interpreters gave me one that is much lighter and I don't notice as much.  Interestingly for how much the military cares about uniform and standards with appearances, there seem to be no issues with women wearing head scarves that are "not in regs."  The non-SF men grumble about the fact that they are not allowed to do the same and grow beards.

No comments:

Post a Comment