Tuesday, January 31, 2012

District Center

I spend a lot of time at District Centers (DC).  They are the Afghan equivalent to your town hall, mayor's office, and hub of city or county government life in the U.S.  This is where the ANP has their headquarters, where the District Governor and his line ministers work, and where the judicial sector (where it exists) operates.  The DCs are generally the safest places in the districts thanks to the presence of ANP (and sometimes still CF) followed probably by the bazaars.  Most of the DCs I have been to have no heat (the chai is a decent remedy), minimal office furniture (the furniture that does exist has obviously been provided within the last few years), and let's just say my husband may be shocked by the newfound strength of my bladder when I get home.  The districts I am working in are fairly fortunate to have office space that is more functional than some others I have seen around Afghanistan.  They also have most of their key govt officials actually in place and working for them.  Are some corrupt and taking bribes?  I'm sure.  The salary system for GIRoA is skewed in certain sectors and not everyone makes a living wage.  Most people will do what it takes to support their families and changing a system riddled by corruption does not happen overnight -- or in a decade apparently.  So far I have come away from the work I've been doing with a sense of optimism.  The Chief Judge in one of my districts in particular shows a real passion for holding public trials and an energy that is not always apparent in GIRoA officials.  AND b/c LT said my blog was good blackmail, I'll say that 3 Charlie is my favorite platoon to roll with.  Here's a shot of LT, myself, and Ric.  The photographer wasn't terrible -- I cropped our interpreters out.  Snow capped mountain is beautiful from afar -- but leads to a pretty dangerous valley.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment