Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring Is Here

Back in the U.S. everyone "sprung forward" about a week ago so that EST is only 8.5 hrs behind me here in Afghanistan.  The coming of spring also means a celebration of Nowruz, the Afghan New Year.  Happy 1391 everyone!  I haven't been able to gather much about what Afghans do for New Year's.  Some say it's a two week holiday.  Our Provincial Governor said "they only celebrate that in X province" and we went on with the normal battle rhythm schedule.  I am most fascinated by Buzkashi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzkashi  How can you not love a game involving a headless goat?

Spring in Afghanistan makes me miss the U.S.  Why?  Because the country is becoming even more beautiful and when I'm flying around I think "wouldn't it be great to go tubing down that river or hiking those mountains." And of course I don't have the freedom to do such things.  Here are a couple recent pics.


No comments:

Post a Comment