Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

As I've gotten into a pretty steady battle rhythm out here, I've come to see scheduling rotators as just another logistical hurdle in my week.  Being non-lethal and all, so is the air that I book (contractor - not green air).  Also being non-lethal, while my mission is I believe vital to the long term success of Afghanistan, day to day it falls into the "nice to do" category.  Which means that weather and other operational requirements sometimes push my missions to the right and I am constantly bugging the air guys to do the same with my flights or send me somewhere else.  I was finally told today "don't worry ma'am, they know your name" -- now I'm not sure if it's my name or "that damn JAG" asking for another flight change.  Pretty sure the pilots recognize me by now too.  Part of the challenge in being one of the few females most CF see out here is that they all know and remember me.  While I like to think I'm a pretty quick study in learning people's names, roles, etc. there's just no way to keep up with all the bases I rotate through on a weekly basis and different platoons I go out with.  And now the Cheers reference is making me crave a beer.  Guess near beer will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment