Monday, February 13, 2012

A Rough Couple Days For Justice

This weekend a judge and court employee in my province were killed and another shot but will survive his wounds.  All killings were targeted because of their work with the judicial system.  I don't know what else to say except this isn't a new tactic -- the targeted assassinations of GIRoA officials is not new and the Taliban are very open about their strategy of going after those who work for or support GIRoA.  The judges and prosecutors I work with talk about their security every time I meet with them and unfortunately I am largely helpless and have no solutions to offer.  My command is very aware of the issue and perhaps support will eventually trickle down.  The problem is that despite the overwhelming number of ANSF forces (300,000+), the security threats are too great for each GIRoA official to have a personal security detail.  It's not just the judges and prosecutors -- one of those killed was a low-level courthouse employee.  Poor security only feeds the corruption and bribery that exists within the judicial system (no more or less than in other sectors of GIRoA I suspect).  I am regularly told that they receive threatening phone calls when a case is coming up and the disposable nature of SIM cards makes it very difficult for AUP to investigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment